Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Swim champs

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Amelia and her best friend Sarah just finished two weeks of swim classes. Thank goodness we had a second week to redeem ourselves from week 1. Let's just say that week 1 can be characterized by lots of crying and week 2, thankfully, by sweet laughing. What a difference a weekend can make!


Unfortunately, swim class came right after the girls woke up from afternoon naps... it takes them a little time to rev up. Day 1 started off with a bang - the girls loved class. It went downhill from there. Each day there was a bit more crying, running away, looking for moms, etc.

Catherine and I got smart for week 2! Our new plan - meet Kim (their swim instructor) at the pool entrance, say good-bye to the girls, and go hide in the "big" pool where little eyes couldn't find us. Kim was thrilled! Amelia and Sarah finally got with the program and actually had fun.

I'm amazed at what they learned in class. There's such a difference in Amelia before and after swim classes. She now willingly blows bubbles, puts her face in the water, and requests to "swim" instead of her favorite activity of jumping. I can't get over how deep in the pool she wants to go. I have a little fish on my hands!

All in all, we had a great two weeks. We don't know what to do with ourselves now that our lives don't revolve around the pool!


1 comment:

Anne Hummel said...

Oh boy - does that bring back memories! I remember watching Emily going under and thinking that we'll never survive the first few lessons. But each time she got dunked, her teacher would say, "Remember, I always make sure you come back up, right?" And Emily would sob, "Riiiight." And sure enough, one day she stopped crying and started swimming. Yay! Love to you all. Anne